Request for Proposals
The Ohio State University Area Studies Centers (Center for African Studies, Center for Latin American Studies, Center for Slavic and East European Studies, East Asian Studies Center, and Middle East Studies Center), housed in the Office of International Affairs, promote area studies and internationalization of higher education on campus and beyond. To further develop and enhance area studies research and dialogue at Ohio State, this OIA Area Studies Center Conference Grant competition seeks proposals focusing on the study of global issues from interdisciplinary, multi-regional perspectives.
Funding will support a conference that brings together area studies experts. To be eligible, the project must significantly address the regions of each Center contributing funding to this grant program. Accordingly, a minimum of 25% of the project should focus on Latin America, Russia/Eastern Europe, and East Asia respectively, for a minimum total of 75% of the content on these regions.
Examples of possible topics include:
- Translation as a political act
- Language, identity, and culture
- Race, gender, and technology in science fiction
- Memory and borders: Examining nationalism and identity through material culture
- Change in global politics
- Decolonizing indigenous spaces in Latin America, Eastern Europe, and East Asia
- Heritage language teachings and language documentation
- Innovation and sustainability in urban transportation
The conference should be scheduled to take place at Ohio State University between August 15, 2020 and August 14, 2021, with a goal of fostering area studies research at Ohio State. It is expected that through the conference, a team of researchers will begin to work together towards a larger and more substantial collaboration in subsequent years.
Examples of measurable outcomes include:
- External grants
- Academic course development
- Instructional material development
- Digital resources or modules
- Study abroad program creation
- Outreach program creation
The funding period is between August 15, 2020 and December 31, 2021. Awards: Up to $15,000, reimbursed after approved incurred expenses.
The project must be developed and implemented by current Ohio State faculty or staff with PI status. A project leader will serve as the point of contact for communication with the Area Studies Center Conference Grant program team members during the grant program process and serve as PI for this program. Please note that conferences are the only type of academic program that this funding will support. No other types of activities will be funded.
The deadline for pre-proposals has been extended to January 24, 2020. The pre-proposal must outline the research ideas and scope. All submitted proposals will be reviewed by the Area Studies Center Grant Review Committee.
Logistical Support and Fiscal Processing
Area Studies Centers are unable to provide logistical support for the conference. To manage such tasks, applicants should coordinate with others organizing the program and/or staff in their home departments on all aspects related to planning the event and the processing of expenditures. After the program has concluded, Area Studies Center fiscal staff will work with the applicant’s designated fiscal coordinator on the transfer of eligible expenses up to the amount pledged. If selected for funding, an Area Studies Center Conference Grant program team member will meet with the project team to go over guidelines and policies. Brief guidelines regarding the usage of funding are as follows:
- Domestic airfare for speakers (faculty, staff of other institutions; not students)
- Ground transportation (faculty, staff of other institutions; not students)
- Accommodations (faculty, staff of other institutions; not students)
- Conference venue (i.e. room rental, A/V rental fees, etc.)
- Publicity (i.e. advertising of conference, poster printing, program publication, etc.)
- Honoraria (i.e. keynote speaker fees)
- International travel of any kind (including airfare, accommodations, per diem, etc. for both OSU faculty and invited speakers)
- Student travel of any kind (airfare, ground transportation, accommodations, etc.)
- Food or beverage of any kind (meals, catering, etc.)
- November 4, 2019: Grant competition announcement
- January 24, 2020: Pre-proposal due
- February 7, 2020: Invitations sent for full proposal submission
- March 20, 2020: Full proposals due
- April 21, 2020: Final Notification
Applicants may contact Eileen Kunkler, assistant director of the Center for Slavic and East European Studies, with any questions, by email at email@example.com or by phone at (614)247-1666.
This program is supported by U.S. Department of Education Title VI grants for The Ohio State University’s Center for Latin American Studies, Center for Slavic and East European Studies, and East Asian Studies Center. All conference grant recipients are required to acknowledge these centers and the U.S. Department of Education Title VI support in their online and print publicity. Specifically, the title of the event must include “Area Studies Conference on…” and the credit line on all materials must state: “Sponsored by: The Ohio State University’s Center for Latin American Studies, Center for Slavic and East European Studies, and East Asian Studies Center, with funds from the U.S. Department of Education Title VI grants.”