Summer 2020 and Academic Year 2020-21 FLAS Fellowship Competition
The Summer 2020 and Academic Year 2020-21 FLAS Fellowship Competition from the Center for Slavic and East European Studies (CSEES) is now closed. The deadline for application submittal was Monday, February 3, 2020 4:30PM EST. Please read below for specific information on the competition.
- Applicants will need to submit their application online through Qualtrics.
- Before beginning an application, undergraduate students should consult the and graduate or professional students should consult the for specific information on eligibility requirements and application instructions for their particular competition.
- Before completing the Online Application Form, applicants should review the information sheets and information below to have all the necessary information on hand and additional documents ready for uploading as they complete the form. The Online Form should take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete and should be completed at one time. An is available to assist applicants to prepare needed materials in advance.
- In addition to completing the Online Application Form, applicants will need to have their referees submit letters of reference separately. Within the Online Application Form, applicants will indicate who is providing letters of reference for them. Then the applicant will complete the and provide this to their referee. The referee will need to submit their letter of recommendation by Monday, February 3, 2020.
- A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must also be submitted for the 2020-21 academic year to Ohio State's office of Student Financial Aid by the priority deadline of February 1, 2020.
- Failure to completely or accurately fill out the Online Application Form, submitting a FAFSA, and providing letters of reference by the published deadlines will cause the applicant’s application to be disqualified.
Applicants for Summer 2020 and Academic Year 2020-21:
For all applicants, a complete application will consist of:
- The completed Online Application Form;
- An up-to-date OSU Advising Report and transcripts from other previous institutions - these will be uploaded as part of the Online Application Form;
- A one-page, single-spaced Statement of Intent - this will be uploaded as part of the Online Application Form;
- A Budget Estimate section in the Online Application Form with supporting documentation attached;
- Three Letters of reference submitted directly from the referee on the applicant’s behalf. Applicants will provide the names of the referees in the Online Application Form and will then send the firstname.lastname@example.org; and directly to the referee themselves. Letters of references must also be received by Monday, February 3, 2020 and submitted by the recommender to Eileen Kunkler by email to
- A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submitted to OSU’s office of Student Financial Aid.
Announcement of Competition Results
CSEES will announce the results of the competition by mid-March 2020.
All applicants are encouraged to attend a FLAS Information Session. CSEES will host five in November and December 2019, visit our Events Page for a full listing. If a prospective applicant is unable to attend one, please email Eileen Kunkler, FLAS Program Coordinator, at email@example.com to schedule a meeting.
Please contact Eileen Kunkler, the FLAS Coordinator, for any questions about the fellowship and application process, by phone at (614)292-8770 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.