The Slovene Research Initiative (SRI) was founded in the fall of 2013 through an endowment from the Research Center of the Slovene Academy of Sciences and Arts, as well as through contributions from the Society for Slovene Studies (SSS). SRI promotes research on Slovenia, Central Europe, and Southeastern Europe. The Center for Slavic and East European Studies (CSEES) administers SRI, and the Research Center of the Slovene Academy of Sciences and Arts and SSS are partner organizations. Each year, SRI funds a faculty exchange program between Ohio State and the Research Center of the Slovene Academy of Sciences and Arts, as well as working with SSS and the Research Center to organize an annual lecture and other events. All events can be found on the Slavic Center's events page.
Ohio State Faculty Exchange
As part of SRI, CSEES and the Research Center of the Slovene Academy of Sciences and Arts conduct an annual faculty exchange program. One or two faculty from each institution are able to conduct research at the other institution for two to four weeks. Partner institutions cover accomodation and access to libraries, archives, and other research holdings, as well as office space in either Columbus, Ohio, or Ljubljana, Slovenia.
The Slovene Research Initiative (SRI) at The Ohio State University invites proposals for the SRI Visiting Scholar Exchange Program. The Initiative will cover either two or four weeks of housing in Ljubljana, Slovenia, and access to conduct research at the Research Center of the Slovene Academy of Sciences and Arts. It does not support travel or any other expenses. Proposed exchanges should take place in late spring or during the summer. The SRI Committee might opt to select two proposals that request two weeks of housing, or one that requests four. Visiting Scholar Exchange proposals can focus on any discipline but should clearly demonstrate how the research or work conducted on the exchange will advance the understanding of the region.
A proposal should include:
- a description totaling two-three pages outlining the proposed research/collaboration/project to be undertaken, including information on its status (whether work has already been started or is new), potential collaborators in Slovenia or resources that can be accessed through exchange but not available domestically, and future plans for conducting the work after the exchange (whether this will lead to a publication, further opportunities for collaboration, or ongoing research);
- a C.V. that includes the credentials listed below; and
- whether you are requesting two or four weeks of accommodation, as well as approximate dates.
Applicants will be evaluated by the CSEES Committee on the basis of the following criteria:
- Quality of academic credentials (40%)
- publication record;
- high level international research experience; and
- other relevant recognitions (e.g., awards).
- SRI related research proposal (60%)
- relevant to Slovene studies;
- relevant to Central European studies; and
- relevant to Southeast European studies.
- Research Collaboration proposal with Slovene scholars (60%)
- established record of collaboration; and
- proposal for new collaboration.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 13, 2017.
Society for Slovene Studies Exchange
The Society for Slovene Studies is an international association of scholars that are dedicated to researching all aspects of Slovenia in all disciplines, furthering interest in Slovene culture, fostering closer communication amongst scholars of Slovenia, and disseminating their research more broadly. It achieves this by organizing meetings and conferences and the preparation of publications. As a partner organization of SRI, SSS helps to fund and organize events, as well as conducting an exchange program between SSS and the Research Center of the Slovene Academy of Sciences and Arts. This annual exchange program is open to all SSS members. For more information on SSS, including on membership and the SSS exchange program, please contact SSS President Raymond Miller.
The Center for Slavic and East European Studies at The Ohio State University
SRI sends out a bimonthly newsletter with news and information related to SRI. To subscribe, please complete the form below.