Each academic year CSEEES organizes an annual teacher training workshop to provide teachers with the knowledge and resources to bring effectively Eastern European and Eurasian content into the classroom. The workshops familiarize teachers with the histories, cultures, and languages of Eastern Europe and Eurasia in order to develop the global competencies of students. This then enables students to connect historical events across countries and time periods, recognize and assess themes in literature and the arts, and analyze the events of today from a variety of perspectives. The workshops also provide teachers with classrooms resources and guidance on other sources of information.
A guest expert leads the workshop to give participating teachers a strong foundation in the topic. Attendees are provided with readings in advance, a curriculum resource to use back in the classroom, and information about other resources available in Ohio that are relevant to the topic. Workshops are small, with 10-15 participants typically, allowing for one-on-one discussion. Following the workshop, teachers are encouraged to create a unit plan or activity based upon the workshop’s topic.
- Curriculum resources
- Participation stipend
- Contact hour certificate
- Resource development stipend
Information on our next annual teacher training workshop will be posted in early autumn 2023!
Past Workshop Topics
- Fall 2022: LGBTQ+ Histories and Issues of Eastern Europe and Eurasia
- Summer 2022: Understanding the Culture and History of Ukraine
- Fall 2021: Corruption and Politics in Eastern Europe
- Spring 2021: Feminism and Women’s Rights in Central and Eastern Europe
- Fall 2019: The European Union and Hungary
- Spring 2019: The European Union and Poland
- Spring 2018: The Rise and Fall of the Eastern Bloc Sport System
- Spring 2017: When Borders are Sealed: Refugees, Smugglers, and Humanitarian Aid Along the Closed Balkan Route
- Spring 2016: The Holocaust in Hungary and the Reemergence of Fascism in the 21st Century
Please contact Alicia Baca, the CSEEES outreach coordinator, at email@example.com or call (614)292-8770 for more information.