Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-24 FLAS Fellowship Competition
The Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-24 FLAS Fellowship Competition from the Center for Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies (CSEEES) is now closed. The deadline for application submission was Wednesday, February 1, 2023 4:30PM EST. Decisions will be announced in mid-March. Good luck to all applicants!
- Applicants will need to submit their application online through Qualtrics (link below). The application opened November 1, 2022 and closed February 1, 2023.
Before beginning an application, all students should review the appropriate information sheet below for specific information on eligibility requirements and application instructions for their particular competition:
Before completing the Online Application Form, applicants should review the information sheets and information below to have all the necessary information on hand and additional documents ready for uploading as they complete the form. The Online Form should take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete and should be completed at one time.
- A preview of last year's application is available to assist applicants in preparing their materials in advance. An updated preview will be available soon.
- In addition to completing the Online Application Form, applicants will need to provide three letters of reference which should be submitted directly from the referee on the applicant's behalf. Within the Online Application Form, applicants will indicate who is providing their letters of reference. Then the applicant will complete the email@example.com by Wednesday, February 1, 2023. and provide a copy to each referee. The referee will need to submit their letter of recommendation directly to
- A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must also be submitted for the 2023-24 academic year to Ohio State's office of Student Financial Aid by the priority deadline of February 1, 2023.
- Failure to completely or accurately fill out the Online Application Form, submit a FAFSA, and provide letters of reference by the published deadlines will cause the applicant’s application to be disqualified.
Applicants for Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-24:
For all applicants, a complete application will consist of:
- The completed Online Application Form (available November 1, 2022);
- An up-to-date OSU Advising Report and transcripts from other previous institutions - these will be uploaded as part of the Online Application Form;
- A one-page, single-spaced Statement of Intent - this will be uploaded as part of the Online Application Form;
- A resume or C.V. of no more than two pages (attached in online application)
- A Budget Estimate section in the Online Application Form with supporting documentation attached;
- Three letters of reference submitted directly from the referee on the applicant’s behalf. Applicants will provide the names of the referees in the Online Application Form and will then send the firstname.lastname@example.org; and directly to the referee themselves. Letters of reference must also be received by Wednesday, February 1, 2023 and submitted by the recommender to Emma Pratt at
- A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submitted to OSU’s office of Student Financial Aid.
Announcement of Competition Results
CSEEES will announce the results of the competition by mid-March 2023.
All applicants are encouraged to attend a FLAS Information Session. Information sessions will be scheduled from October 2022 through January 2023. Visit our Events Page for a full listing. If a prospective applicant is unable to attend, please email Emma Pratt, FLAS Program Coordinator, at email@example.com to schedule a meeting.
We have created a short video of the slide presentation used at the information session to help to address basic questions and background information. Attending an information session is still strongly recommended as application directions and tips will be covered in much more detail.
Please contact Emma Pratt, the FLAS Coordinator, for any questions about the fellowship and application process, by phone at (614) 292-8770 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to .pdf files. Please contact CSEEES directly at either email@example.com or (614)292-8770 if you need assistance in accessing these documents in alternate formats. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free at: Adobe Acrobat Reader.