Academic Year 2020-21 FLAS Fellowship Competition
The Center for Slavic and East European Studies (CSEES) is running a special, secondary Academic Year 2020-21 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship Competition for graduate and professional students ONLY. The application window will be from Monday, June 8 - Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 4:30PM. Please read below for specific information on the competition.
- Applicants will need to submit their application online through Qualtrics.
- Before beginning an application, graduate or professional students should consult the Academic Year 2020-21 Graduate FLAS Info Sheet for specific information on eligibility requirements and application instructions for their particular competition.
- Before completing the Online Application Form, applicants should review the information sheet and information below to have all the necessary information on hand and additional documents ready for uploading as they complete the form. The Online Form should take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete and should be completed at one time. An application preview is available to assist applicants to prepare needed materials in advance.
- In addition to completing the Online Application Form, applicants should consider having a past language instructor write them a letter of recommendation. Applicants should download the recommendation form, complete the first page, and then send to the recommender. The recommender will complete the rest of the form and submit separately with a letter of recommendation by Tuesday, June 30 to Eileen Kunkler, email@example.com.
- A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must also be submitted for the 2020-21 academic year to Ohio State's office of Student Financial Aid by June 30.
- Failure to completely or accurately fill out the Online Application Form, submitting a FAFSA, and providing letters of reference by the published deadlines will cause the applicant’s application to be disqualified.
Academic Year 2020-21 FLAS Application Details
For all applicants, a complete application will consist of:
- The completed Online Application Form (please note that this link will be active from June 8 - June 30, 4:30PM EST;
- OSU Graduate Admissions Application: for all incoming applicants regardless of prior undergraduate institution, CSEES will collect transcripts, letters of recommendation, admission test scores (optional), and statements of intent from their current Graduate Admissions application. As part of the online application, applicants will provide the name and contact info for the graduate program coordinator of the program to which they applied; and
- Please note that we strongly encourage applicants to upload a FLAS specific statement of intent, which is offered as an optional component within the online application, that addresses your program of study with special emphasis on the languages and area studies you intend to undertake, their relevance to your study and career plans, and your anticipated level of proficiency at the beginning of the award period.
- We also strongly encourage applicants to request a letter of recommendation from a prior language instructor if they did not have such a letter of recommendation as part of their program application.
- A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submitted to OSU’s office of Student Financial Aid by June 30.
Announcement of Competition Results
CSEES will announce the results of the competition by mid-July 2020.
Please contact Eileen Kunkler, the FLAS Coordinator, for any questions about the fellowship and application process, by phone at (614)292-8770 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.